Ana Pascal : [to cast-covered Harold] So what happened?
Harold Crick : I stepped in front of a bus.
Ana Pascal : What? Why?
Harold Crick : There was a boy I had to pull out of the way? Ana Pascal : What?
Harold Crick : There was this boy, I had to... Ana Pascal : You stepped in front of a bus to save a boy? Harold Crick : I had to. I didn't have a choice.
Harold Crick : I stepped in front of a bus.
Ana Pascal : What? Why?
Harold Crick : There was a boy I had to pull out of the way? Ana Pascal : What?
Harold Crick : There was this boy, I had to... Ana Pascal : You stepped in front of a bus to save a boy? Harold Crick : I had to. I didn't have a choice.
—Stranger
than Fiction, Zach Helm
Harold
Crick knew when he stepped in front of that bus that he risked his life. And
still, he could not do otherwise. He had to. That’s grounds for Superhero
status if you ask me.
Heroes don’t always have superpowers
or costumes. Sometimes heroes are simply the guy that lends a helping hand when
your arm are full of groceries (or boxes—thanks again, Chase! ;) ). Or the
woman that tends to a crying child’s scraped knee and hugs all the hurt away.
Or a friend that offers a hug and a shoulder to cry on for your broken heart…
On the subject of powers:
I firmly believe that everyone has the capacity to be somebody’s hero—and I
know for a fact that my sweet, ordinary husband is one of them. No one is more
fun than he. And for our three-year old daughter, that is plenty of grounds for
Superhero-dom. And no one is better at fixing things than he, and for me, his ever-clumsy wife, that is
grounds for Superhero-dom. No one is more withholding of judgment or more
forgiving than he, and for his recovering drug-addict and borderline
personality disorder sister, that is surely grounds for Superhero-dom. My
husband is all of our hero, and each for a unique reason. Which reaffirms my
conviction that everyone can be a hero. He may not even realize that he is our hero, but he is.
And on costumes: One very
prominent hero in my mind wore only the guise of a construction worker. New
York, January 2007, one man fell onto the subway tracks, seizing. Another man,
waiting for his train with his two daughters saw the oncoming train and jumped
onto the tracks, pushing the other man between the rails and ultimately saving his
life. Wesley Autrey—surely the hero of the man who fell—said: “I don’t feel
like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help. I did what
I felt was right.”
And my biggest hero—Jesus Christ—who literally
saved my (eternal) life—wore carpenter’s clothes and preached bearing one
another’s burdens. And He saved all of us.
So what are we doing with
the life He saved for us? Are we paying it forward? Are we strengthening that
legacy? I said before we all have the capacity for Superhero-ism—let us develop
that capacity and become heroes to those around us, following Christ’s
footsteps, that we may one day be like Him—the perfect hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment