Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Modern Times: Paradise


“It’s paradise!”
      -Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin

      According to the Beatles, “All You Need is Love.” 

And having just started out having nothing a short five years ago (and quite honestly, still having very little), I would tend to agree. We didn’t need a big house…. or a fancy car… or a nice TV… or the newest phones to make us happy (In fact, until about a week ago I was using a phone that was literally seven years old.). We were happy because we had each other (still are, I might add). Heck, we didn’t even need electricity!! (About three and a half years into our marriage, we were without power for three days in a freak snowstorm at his parent’s house for the holidays. And we seriously had a blast!)

      So, when A Factory Worker (Charlie Chaplin) and an orphan Gamine girl start out together in a ramshackle little shed on the beach where everything is either broken or breaking, and Charlie’s character exclaims: “It’s paradise!” I am one to believe he truly meant it. Because I have lived it—and it truly is.




As a side-note to this post: Chaplin dedicated his life’s work to making people laugh in a time when laughs were as hard to come by as a spare penny, and by that I mean to say that in the Great Depression, not only were pockets poor, but spirits also. His work gave people a lift when they needed it most. And there is tremendous beauty in that. I admire his fortitude and his ability to continue to be happy in the hard times. And as we stand here in another time of trial and hardship (I refer to the current depression we find ourselves in, and not the tragic Colorado shooting), I hope we can go back and resurrect Chaplin’s work and find the simple joys in life once more. And Smile (which happens to be one of my most favorite songs of all time).


No comments:

Post a Comment